Monday, October 29, 2007

Poor Riley!

So Riley is healing nicely from her surgery and acting like nothing at all happened to her...and then she decides to go and scare me to death. So...I took her out to potty after she ate dinner around 5:00. About 30 minutes later she was throwing up everywhere. Greg was sweet and cleaned up the mess while I tried to get Riley to come out from underneath the bed. She hid for a good 10 minutes and finally came out as we were starting dinner. She was very, very restless though and we chalked it up to her tummy hurting her. She kept flopping down by me and scratching her eyes/ears/nose with her paws, going in and out of her blankie and just acting really uncomfortable. I got up to get more water and noticed that her eyes looked really puffy. Upon further inspection, we saw that Riley had hives ALL over her face/neck/back.

We immediately got in the car and rushed to the emergency vet (okay, well, I freaked out some and demanded that Greg go look up the nearest emergency vet while I screamed at him to tell me the number to information...I don't deal with panicky situations too well!) I called the vet on the way. Her breathing was fine when we left and she seemed fine when we got there too, but her eyes were almost swollen shut and I was so scared it was going to cause her airway to swell. They gave her Benadryl and got her hooked up to an IV. They brought her out about 30-45 minutes later looking much better, but still puffy.

Poor thing :( She's feeling a little bit better now, but she's still puffy and swollen. She's still really restless, but I think that's because of the Benadryl. Unfortunately, we also don't know what caused the reaction. She was outside, so it's entirely possible that she got stung (the vet said the time frame and the throwing up all fit that hypothesis too)...a bee also got in our apartment earlier today, so that seems the most likely thing. She also could have gotten bit by a spider while hiding under the bed (but then there is no explanation for the throwing up beforehand). We've also been switching her from puppy food to adult food, so she could be having an allergic reaction to that. I'm so frustrated that we don't know what caused the reaction and I'm so scared that this will happen again tomorrow while we're at work.

If a puppy causes me to freak out and have my hair prematurely turn gray, what the heck is a baby going to do to me?!

1 comment:

:0) said...

hello hello!
i was actually on the phone with your mom when you were on your way to take Riley in! ahh... what a scare! i hope that she is all better now!

*oh, i was thinking about you saying that times like these are making you get gray hair and you wonder what will happen when you have babies... well i started laughing because the truth be told... babies usually pull your hair out! =o) just kidding!!!!!!